Creation of modern Seattle began on November 13,1851, with the arrival of the Denny Party near Alki Point, in West Seattle. These two dozen settlers optimistically named their first outpost "New York Alki" (by and by), but most relocated to the eastern shore of Elliot Bay the following spring.
West Seattle's development languished until its annexation in 1907. The area's illusory remoteness (it actually lies only a few minutes from downtown by bridge) encouraged a more leisurely lifestyle in pleasant residential neighborhoods and compact business districts such as The Junction and Admiral district.
Alki Beach has attracted summer crowds since the early 1900s, while further south, ferries have shuttled between Fauntleroy and Vashon Island since 1925. On the east, the Delridge neighborhood first developed as a Duwamish River port and industrial center called Youngstown. In addition to Alki beach and the Alki Point Lighthouse, West Seattle attractions include Lincoln Park, Schmitz Park and the West Seattle Golf Course, and Belvedere Viewpoint overlooking Elliott Bay.
Courtesy of: www.wschamber.com